Call for Hosting the 72nd International Astronautical Congress in 2021
Each year the International Astronautical Federation (IAF) – in collaboration with the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) and the International Institute of Space Law (IISL) – organises the International Astronautical Congress (IAC). The IAC is held in different countries of the world with an IAF member organisation serving as its host. In recent years, the event attracted more than 3.500 participants including up to 2.000 full paying participants, retired participants and press representatives as well as more than 1.000 students and young professionals.
The IAF received the following 3 notices of intent to submit proposals from IAF member organisations interested in serving as the host of the 72nd IAC which will be held in 2021:
- Paris, France (from the Centre National d ’Etudes Spatiales, CNES)
- Singapore, Singapore (from Singapore Space & Technology Association, SSTA)
- Venice, Italy (from the Association of Aronautics and Astronautics, AIDAA)
The schedule for the selection of the site of the 72nd IAC is as follows:
|27 April 2018|
|29 June 2018|
|July – August 2018|
|7 September 2018|
|1 – 5 Oct. 2018|
|5 October 2018|
Note: The IAF may – at its discretion – modify the above schedule and notify the concerned organisations of the schedule changes.
The proposing organisation must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the IAF that it is:
- An IAF member organisation or a group of IAF member organisations. The member or members submitting a proposal must be member(s) in good standing.
- Legally capable of signing a contract with the IAF for the execution of an IAC.
- Organisationally and financially able to undertake and successfully manage an IAC.
- Capable of fulfilling all of the requirements placed on the host organisation as described in the Call.
Note: the IAF member organisation proposing to host an IAC must demonstrate that it meets the above requirements through the creation of a consortium or other entity with sufficient organisation skills, financial backing, human resources and legal structure to meet this requirement.
In this case, the proposed organisation must include in its proposal:
- A description of the proposed organisational arrangement. The consortium or organisation shall also provide documentation to validate its legal existence as well as its address, telephone and e-mail address for follow up communications.
- Written commitments from the consortium members specifying the organisational and/or financial support they propose to provide.
- Additional, publicly verifiable information describing the capabilities as well as the financial and organisational resources of the consortium members.
The IAF may request additional information to ensure that it has sufficient understanding of the consortium arrangement as well as the legal and financial commitments of the consortium members to the collective effort.