2017 IAF Young Space Leaders
2018 Call for Nominations
The International Astronautical Federation (IAF) is pleased to announce its 2018 IAF Young Space Leaders Recognition Programme that will provide opportunities to recognise students and young professionals who are demonstrating exceptional leadership in their academics or early careers.
The IAF is soliciting nominations for the 2018 Young Space Leaders Recognition Programme from IAF Members, Regional groups and Technical and Administrative Committees on students and young professionals between the ages of 21 to 35 years on 1 January 2018 who are:
- Contributing to astronautics through their academic and/or professional activities,
- Reaching out to other young people and to their community to share knowledge and experience,
- Engaging colleagues in the international space community,
- Contributing to the work of IAF committees and/or volunteering in support of other Federation activities (Note: Attendance at International Astronautical Congreess does not in itself qualify).
Nominations should contain:
- A nomination letter from an IAF member organisation, an IAF Technical Committee or an IAF Administrative Committee summarising the nominee’s qualifications and specifying how the nominee meets the criteria (please download the template on Nomination Letter Template)
- Two letters of recommendation addressing the contributions and engagement of the nominee.
The 2018 IAF Young Space Leaders will be selected by the Federation’s Young Space Leaders selection committee in consultation with the IAF President during March 2018. The Federation will notify the nominating organizations of those selected and subsequently the selectees themselves no later than 1 May 2018.
The 2018 IAF Young Space Leaders will be inducted at the 69th International Astronautical Congress (IAC) 1 – 5 October 2018 in Bremen, Germany, at the Closing Ceremony. They will attend the IAC Gala Dinner as guests of the IAF President. Although travel expenses to attend the IAC will not be provided by the IAF, the IAC registration fee will be waived. Nominators are encouraged to help identify sources of funding for their nominee if he/she is selected.
Up to five IAF Young Space Leaders will be selected in 2018. IAF Young Space Leaders will help increase knowledge among and broaden the involvement of students and young professionals worldwide in astronautics activities and the IAF.
In the year following their induction, IAF Young Space Leaders will:
- Be featured in an IAF newsletter and on the IAF website, contributing a short summary of their experience and achievements and their perspectives on space and international cooperation, including the role of the IAF.
- Participate in a virtual event to communicate with other young people about these topics and the benefits they have received from their involvement in the IAF and attendance at IACs, and highlight the opportunities available to students and young professionals at the upcoming IAC.
- Mentor the Emerging Space Leaders who receive IAF grants to attend the IAC in Bremen.
Please send the nomination material before 11 February 2018 15:00 CET (Paris time) to the IAF Secretariat, preferably by email at firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line: NOMINEE’S LAST NAME Nominee’s First Name-2018 YSL).
If email is not available, the reference can be sent by postal mail to:
Attention: 2018 IAF Young Space Leaders Recognition Programme
3 rue Mario Nikis
Or by Fax to + 33 1 4273 2120
Should you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.