Each year the International Astronautical Federation (IAF) organizes the International Astronautical Congress (IAC). The IAC is held in a different country every year, with an IAF member organization serving as its host.
The Congress attracts over 4,500 participants, with an intensive technical programme, public programme with plenary and IAF Global Networking Forum sessions, high-level lectures and late-breaking news, young professionals’ and students’ programmes, networking events and a large industrial exhibition. Heads of space agencies are also present and press events are organized throughout the week.
By the deadline for submissions, the IAF has received the following 5 notifications of intent to bid, one of the highest ever numbers.
The 5 notifications of intent to bid were received from the following organizations / cities:
- India, from the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
- Baku, Azerbaijan from Azercosmos
- Singapore, from Singapore Space and Technology Association (SSTA)
- Milan, Italy from the Italian Association of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIDAA)
- Brazil from Agência Espacial Brasileira (AEB)
The host will be voted at the IAC in Washington D.C., United States on 25 October 2019.