Under the theme “Involving Everyone”, IAC 2018 will offer an extensive and multidisciplinary Technical Programme that reflects the diversity of disciplines within space.
Following its usual style, the congress will span a full week, with:
- 178 Technical Sessions (including 5 Global Technical Sessions)
- More than 2,000 Oral Presentations
- 480 Interactive Presentations
- 31 Special Sessions
- Keynote Lectures
Let us look at the structure of the IAC Technical Programme in some more detail (you will find more information under each specific webpage):
- The Technical Sessions (TS) consist of more than 2,000 oral presentations logically grouped into several concurrent sessions with major categories in Science & Exploration, Applications & Operations, Technology, Infrastructure, Space & Society. All papers have been screened by Members if the International Programme Committee prior to acceptance to maintain high technical standards and relevance to the session topic. These papers are presented by the individuals that wrote them, and all sessions have opportunities for questions and further discussions. This year the Technical Programme is comprised of 178 Technical Sessions. To view the complete Technical Sessions online, visit https://iafastro.directory/iac/browse/IAC-18/catalog-technical-programme
- For the first time, the IAC Technical Programme will include Special Sessions (SpS). The Special Sessions will offer key insight into new and emerging topics of particular interest to the space community that may also cut across and beyond disciplines traditionally represented. The specific formats of the Special Sessions (panels, debates, workshops…) will favor highly interactive discussions and exchange of ideas. The IPC Steering Group has selected 31 Special Sessions proposals which stress the novelty of the topic, its multidisciplinary flavor and which will provide a complementary experience compared to the regular Technical Sessions.
- This year’s the Interactive Presentations (IP) Session will offer a new platform to engage congress attendees like never before as all presentations will be required to feature an interactive element. Interactive elements can include audio and video, as well as images and animations. Selected applicants will have their interactive presentations on display for the duration of the congress, including the congress breaks, so that they can meet with attendees and informally present their work. The 480 Interactive Presentations will be held on Thursday 4 October with time reserved after each formal presentation for group discussion with the delegates. The winners of the 5 best Interactive Presentations will be announced during a dedicated Award Ceremony.
- Each day of the 2018 Technical Programme will feature Keynote Lectures given by world-renowned experts on exciting topics in space.
- The Global Technical Sessions (GTS) are designed to offer a modern and eclectic platform at the IAC for sharing technical content to an open minded audience on-site but also online! Oriented towards young and talented space professionals, it allows for sharing of information on a global scale with presenters and audience both at the IAC venue and online at their home/work/university locations. The Global Technical Sessions are similar to the conventional technical sessions with abstract selection and paper submissions. They are jointly organized by associated technical committees and co-chaired by seasoned experts and young professionals in order to stimulate the interaction with the authors. The Global Technical Sessions are the IAC cradle for future talents and a modern session to speak with a larger audience thanks to the real-time broadcast online. It can also allow the authors who cannot come to IAC to present their paper to the onsite audience at the IAC and is recorded for further use and personal branding by the presenter.
The IAC 2018 Technical Programme will bring together a tremendous and rich diversity of authors, researchers and speakers from academia, industry, and government all over the world to share ideas and latest research outcomes on space, offering more opportunities for networking, learning and discovery than ever before.
Register now to the 69th International Astronautical Congress!