IAF International Meeting for Members of Parliaments
The IAF is a non-governmental organisation that gathers all actors of the space sector, both institutional and private, on a global scale. The Federation’s main objective is to disseminate knowledge about space technology and to foster international cooperation.
In order to pursue this objective, the IAF organizes an annual Meeting for Members of Parliaments to provide a forum for informal discussions with the international space community (governmental representatives, space agencies, industry, universities, engineers and scientists). The event offers an opportunity for parliamentarians from governing and non-governing parties to discuss the potential of current and future space technologies to deal with key topics of major and global interest.
The one-day programme offers keynote speech and all parliamentarians are given the opportunity to make a statement on the developments and plans in their home country and to engage in a discussion with the other participants.
Themes of the IAF International Meetings for Members of Parliaments:
- 2012: Satellite Applications – Tools for Policy Implementation and Verification
- 2013: Benefits Of Space Technology for Economic Growth and Competitiveness of Industry
- 2015: Water Management supported by Space Tools – Policy development, Implementation and Verification
- 2016: Space and the Information Society (Connecting the World via Space – Policies, Technologies and Applications)
- 2017: Space Entrepreneurship and Socioeconomic Benefits
- 2018: The Seamless Chain of Innovation – From Space Science to Business
- 2019: Opportunities and Challenges for the Legislators in Space Exploration and Space Traffic Management
The IAF Workshop organized with the support of the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), provides space emerging countries with capacity building opportunities in using space science, technologies, applications and exploration in support of sustainable economic, social and environmental development and on the role of industry.
The Workshop will facilitate exchanges on space science, technologies, applications and exploration in support of economic, social and environmental development with a focus on inclusiveness as an underlying factor in sustainable development. It will provide opportunities for space emerging countries to perceive space as contributor to inclusive growth of countries, especially as a catalyst in empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality.
The 27th Workshop on Space Technology for Socio-Economic Benefits: “Ensuring Inclusiveness through Space-based Applications and Space Exploration” will be held in Washington D.C., from 18 to 20 October 2019 in conjunction with the 70th International Astronautical Congress.
Senior Programme Officer
United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA)
IAF Executive Director
IAF Senior Projects Manager