Space Astronomy Technical Committee (SATC)
• Di Cecco Alessandra
• Christian Carol
• Elsperman Michael S.
• Gasparrini Tim D.
• Hartman Colleen N.
• Juillet Jean-Jacques
• Krishnamurthy Akshata
• Medina Tanco Gustavo
• Nakagawa Takao
• Roser Xavier
• Ubertini Pietro
• van der Togt Oana
Objective/scope of the committee
Advances in cutting edge technology together with ground and space astronomy synergy continue to push the limits of scientific discovery and growth. Public recognition is demonstrated by several Nobel physics prizes gained in observational cosmology, exoplanets, gravitational waves, X-ray astronomy, and astrophysical neutrinos. Within the rich and vast field of astrophysics, the SATC Committee concentrates its work in the area of space astronomy and serves as a forum for the exchange of information and interaction between the scientific community, space industry, and space agencies involved in the preparation and the future development of new astronomy missions. Therefore, the SATC action covers the very early phases of mission conception, even before missions are proposed to the Agencies for assessment. As such, the SATC role comes up-front and is largely complementary to the current work that the Agencies achieve. Its principal intended role is to enable or improve the emergence of new science mission concepts, innovative ideas, and new space technologies.
The main aim of the committee is:
- To foster a better communication between scientific community, space industry, space agencies and academia;
- To improve exchange of information on advances in space astronomy from current and prospective missions with emphasis on monitoring and assessing progress in new technology developments for future missions;
- To assess the associated programmatic requirements;
- Provide the IAF point of contact for national and international bodies.
- To encourage, promote, and assist the development of new members of the space community, in particular from new faring space community, through capacity building events, international forum, EPO activities etc.
- Proposal and organization of IAC symposium and sessions, including identification of relevant space-related topics to be included in the Call for Papers;
- Organize symposia for the discussion and publication of ideas and results on topics of relevance in particular to the impact and the future needs of astronomy missions in space technology;
- Participation in the paper selection as IPC members,
- Participation as IPC members (Chairs, Rapporteurs and Symposium Coordinators),
- Organization of dedicated conferences, publications,
- Participation in the IAF Committee Briefs and the annual IAF Highlights,
- Act as trait d’union between IAF, IAU, COSPAR, IUPAP and other international bodies interested in science and technological development for space endeavour.