Jean-Yves LE GALL
IAF Bureau • Former IAF President and Honorary Ambassador
Centre National d’Etudes Spatiales (CNES) • Former President
Jean-Yves LE GALL is IAF Former President and Honorary Ambassador.
Jean-Yves Le Gall has been President of the Centre National d’Etudes Spatiales (CNES), the French space agency, from 2013 to 2021. In this capacity, he was Interministerial Coordinator for satellite navigation programmes and Chair of the Administrative Board of GSA, the European GNSS Agency. He was also Co-Chair of the Council of the European Space Agency (ESA) and Former President of the International Astronautical Federation (IAF).
Born in 1959, Jean-Yves Le Gall is a qualified engineer and scientist who has devoted his entire career to the European space programme, holding positions within the French national scientific research agency CNRS, several French ministries, at Novespace and a first stint with CNES before joining Starsem and Arianespace for 12 years, where he was CEO then Chairman & CEO.
Jean-Yves Le Gall is a member of the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) and Vice-President of the “Space Circle” at French think-tank CEPS (Centre d’Etude et de Prospective Stratégique). He also chairs the France-Japan business council of Medef International, and is a member of the French-Mexican Strategic Council.
He received the Astronautics Prize from the French Association of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AAAF) in 2001. He was named Via Satellite magazine’s 2005 Satellite Executive of the Year and received the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2007 from the Asia-Pacific Satellite Communications Council (APSCC). In 2011 he was inducted into the Hall of Fame of the Society of Satellite Professionals International (SPPI) and received the Icarus Prize from the French association of professional aerospace journalists (AJPAE). In 2014 he received a Laureate Award from Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine.
Jean-Yves Le Gall holds the rank of Officer in both the Legion of Honour and the National Order of Merit in France. He has also been awarded the Order of Friendship by the Russian Federation and the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star, by the government of Japan.
International Astronautical Congress 2021
25-29 October 2021
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
International Astronautical Congress 2020
12-14 October 2020
International Astronautical Congress 2019
21-25 October 2019
Washington, United States
- Plenary programme: Ceremonies
- Plenary events: Plenary 1: Heads of Space Agencies: Challenges and Opportunities in a Changing Space Environment
- Highlight lectures: Highlight Lecture 3 : Monitoring Coastal Waters from Space – Highlighting the Chesapeake Bay Region – Dramatic Advances Enable Better Understanding and Protection of these Vital Ecosystems, and their Immense Coastal Populations and Infrastructure
- Ceremonies: Opening Ceremony
- Ceremonies: Closing Ceremony
- Ceremonies: IAF Excellence In Industry Award Ceremony and Fireside Chat
- Monday 21 October 2019: IAF GNF Opening Day: IAF GNF Opening
- Thursday 24 October 2019: IAF GNF Development Stream: 4th International Space Forum at Ministerial Level – The Mediterranean Chapter
International Astronautical Congress 2018
1–5 October 2018
The Global Space Applications Conference 2018
21-23 May 2018
International Astronautical Congress 2017
25-29 September 2017
- Plenary events: PLENARY 1 – HEADS OF AGENCIES
- Wednesday 27 September 2017: Reducing Diversity Gaps – Inducing Space Environment Dynamic with Benefits for a Country´s Economy, Education, Strategy and Sovereignty
- Wednesday 27 September 2017: Deep space exploration post 2024 scenarios
- Friday 29 September 2017: Making Humans a Multi-Planetary Species
The Global Space Exploration Conference 2017
6-8 June 2017
- Tuesday 6 June 2017: OPENING CEREMONY
- Tuesday 6 June 2017: PLENARY 1: Heads of Agencies – HoA
- Tuesday 6 June 2017: IAF IDEA “3G” Diversity Luncheon
- Wednesday 7 June 2017: KEYNOTE LECTURE 4 FROM BUZZ ALDRIN: Cycling Pathways to Mars
- Wednesday 7 June 2017: Exploration and Space Economy: the new paradigm of forefront developments
International Astronautical Congress 2016
26-30 September 2016
The Global Conference on Space and the Information Society 2016
6-7 June 2016
International Astronautical Congress 2012
1-5 October 2012