Space Law and Policy Masterclass
Highlighting the Relevance of Space Law and Policy for Developing Space Ecosystems
Day: Monday 16 May 2022
Time: 10:00 - 15:00
Location: Hotel Hilton Colon, Room Los Shyris B
The Masterclass on Space Law and Policy is expected to spur conversations, create interest in and appreciation for space law and policy in emerging space countries. It is also expected to initiate discussions on space policies, legislation and laws that emerging space countries could consider to guide and support the growth of their nascent space industry.
Amongst the topics that will be tackled during this Masterclass are:
- How to better create awareness on the need for national/regional space legislation to ensure that space activities are conducted in accordance with international obligations?
- Understanding how space policy and legislation could drive space economy and foster innovation.
- The evolution of space applications. Legal challenges for emerging space countries.
- Legal governance of outer space activities and emerging space countries. Looking ahead towards Space2030.
- Highlighting the relevance of space law and policy for developing space ecosystems in Africa.
- Financing space activities in emerging space countries: existing legal options.
Please, find here the report of the Masterclass on Space Law and Policy.
10:00 - 10:05
Master of Ceremony
10:05 - 10:20
Keynote: Bringing the Benefits of Space to Emerging Space Countries
10:20 - 11:10
Roundtable: Addressing Legal and Policy Elements for Establishing Space Ecosystems in Emerging Countries
Chuen Chern LOO
Head, Space Publication and Registration Division, Radiocommunication Bureau, International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
Marlène Michèle LOSIER
Principal, Losier González, PLLC
11:10 - 12:00
Workshop: Sharing Experiences and Practices on Space Governance and Law in Emerging Countries - Part I
Director Space Sector and Technology Development, Kenya Space Agency (KSA)
Senior Lawyer, Abad&Campos Abogados
Tatiana RIBEIRO VIANA
Scientific Technical Secretary, Italo-Latin American International Organization
13:00 - 13:50
Workshop: Sharing Experiences and Practices on Space Governance and Law in Emerging Countries - Part II
Melanie MAJUMA MUNYORI
Legal Officer, Kenya Space Agency (KSA)
Gianfranco Gabriele NUCERA
13:50 - 15:00
Panel: How Better Create Awareness of the Need for Legislation and Policies to Drive Space Economy and Foster Innovation
Co-Director, Center for Air and Space Law, University of Mississippi
João Paulo RODRIGUES CAMPOS
President & CEO, Visiona Space Technology