28th UN/IAF Workshop on Space Technology for Socio-Economic Benefits: "Space Exploration - A source of inspiration, innovation and discovery"
Date: 22 - 24 October 2021
Location: Dubai World Trade Centre, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The United Nations, through its Programme on Space Applications implemented by the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs, and the International Astronautical Federation (IAF) are co-organizing the Workshop on Space Technology for Socio-Economic Benefits on the theme "Space Exploration - A source of Inspiration, Innovation and Discovery" to provide space emerging countries with capacity building opportunities in using space science, technologies and applications for space exploration in support of sustainable economic, social and environmental development and on the role of industry.
The Workshop will be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, from 22 to 24 October 2021 in conjunction with the 72nd International Astronautical Congress (IAC), and it will be the 28th in the series of such workshops.
31 August 2021
The Workshop will provide a forum for discussion on space science, technologies and applications for space exploration in support of sustainable economic, social and environmental development and as a source of inspiration, innovation and discovery. Considering the direct and/or indirect relevance of space to all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the workshop will address the specific elements of SDG 4 (quality education), SDG 8 (decent work and economic growth), SDG 10 (reduced inequalities), SDG 9 (industry, innovation and infrastructure), in addition to SDG 17 (partnerships for the Goals). The Workshop will serve as a platform to ensure inclusive development in the areas of space technologies taking people, students, private sectors, researchers, academia, innovators and other actors on board in bringing benefits of space exploration to the end users.
The main objectives of the Workshop are to:
- Raise awareness about the international and national entities, space agencies, industry and civil society activities related to Space Exploration
- Raise awareness about planetary protection concepts and guidelines
- Raise awareness about capacity-building efforts on space exploration and discuss synergies and common areas of work
- Promote and discuss inclusiveness on space exploration
- Raise awareness on the efforts of the international space community on how space exploration and innovations can trigger inclusiveness through new partnerships involving space emerging nations and industries
- Bring together policy- and decision-makers, and the research and academic communities to help integrate space into policy and the decision-making process
Presentations made during the Workshop will be published on the website of the Office for Outer Space Affairs to increase awareness about the capabilities and benefits of space technology applications. The report of the Workshop and its recommendations will be distributed to the participants and the space technology user community.
Share this article !Share on twitter Share on linkedin Share on twitter