Published on February 3, 2022
2022 IAF Young Space Leaders Recognition Programme
Only a few days left, make sure you submit your nomination by 11 February!
Hurry up and submit your nomination by 11 February!
The 2022 IAF Young Space Leaders Recognition Programme will provide opportunities to recognise students and young professionals who are demonstrating exceptional leadership in their academics or early careers. The IAF is soliciting nominations for the 2022 IAF Young Space Leaders Recognition Programme from IAF Members, Regional groups and Technical and Administrative Committees on students and young professionals between the ages of 21 to 35 years on 1 January 2022 who are:
- Contributing to astronautics through their academic and/or professional activities,
- Reaching out to other young people and to their community to share knowledge and experience,
- Engaging colleagues in the international space community,
- Contributing to the work of IAF committees and/or volunteering in support of other Federation activities such as physical or virtual participation on selection activities related to IAF grants, Next Generation Plenary and awards; participation in organization of IAC technical sessions and other activities; and participation on local organizing committees for GLEC, GLAC and other IAF meetings. (Note: Attendance at International Astronautical Congreess does not in itself qualify).
Nominations should contain:
- A nomination letter from an IAF member organization, an IAF Technical Committee or an IAF Administrative Committee summarising the nominee’s qualifications and specifying how the nominee meets the criteria (please download the template on Nomination Letter Template)
- Two letters of recommendation addressing the contributions and engagement of the nominee.
The 2022 IAF Young Space Leaders will be selected by the Federation’s Young Space Leaders Selection Subcommittee in consultation with the IAF President during March 2022. The Federation will notify the nominating organizations of those selected and subsequently the selectees themselves no later than 1 May 2022.
IAF Young Space Leaders will be inducted at the 73nd International Astronautical Congress (IAC), 18 – 22 October 2022 in Paris, France at the Closing Ceremony. They will attend the IAC Gala Dinner as guests of the IAF President. Although travel expenses to attend the IAC will not be provided by the IAF, the IAC registration fee will be waived. Nominators are encouraged to help identify sources of funding for their nominee if he/she is selected.
Up to five IAF Young Space Leaders will be selected in 2022. IAF Young Space Leaders will help increase knowledge among and broaden the involvement of students and young professionals worldwide in astronautics activities and the IAF.
In the year following their induction, IAF Young Space Leaders will:
- Be featured in an IAF newsletter and on the IAF website, contributing a short summary of their experience and achievements and their perspectives on space and international cooperation, including the role of the IAF.
- Mentor the Emerging Space Leaders who receive IAF grants to attend the IAC.
Please send the nomination material before 11 February 2022 15:00 CET (Paris time) to the IAF Secretariat, preferably by email at email@example.com (Subject line: NOMINEE’S LAST NAME Nominee’s First Name-2022 YSL).
If email is not available, the reference can be sent by postal mail to:
Attention: 2022 IAF Young Space Leaders Recognition Programme
100 Avenue de Suffren