IAF World Space Award
The IAF World Space Award is presented for an outstanding contribution or contributions in space science, space technology, space medicine, space law or space management of exceptional impact to the world’s progress in astronautics.
The IAF World Space Award is the most prestigious award of the International Astronautical Federation that recognizes a person (Category A) AND/OR a team (Category B) who has made an exceptional impact to the progress of the world space activities through their outstanding contribution in space science, space technology, space medicine, space law, or space management. This award is given only when nominations of world-class outstanding merit are received.
Who may nominate?
• Chairpersons of IAF Committees/ IAF Technical or Administrative Committees
• Representatives of IAF member organizations in good standing/IAF member organizations in good standing
• IAF Officers (President, Vice Presidents, Executive Director, General Counsel, Honorary Secretary)
Who can be nominated?
Category A: Any person with exceptional merits in the space field
Category B: Any team with exceptional achievement in the space field
Nominations should contain:
- Category of nomination (Specify Category A or B)
- A short citation of the exceptional merits (<5 lines)
- A justification specifying the impact of the merits to the progress of space activities on a global scale (<2 pages)
- A biography of the nominee including, i.e., the person’s profile, career achievements and history, education, list of publications, etc. (Category A)
- Detailed description of the achievement which the team accomplished (Category B)
- At least 3 letters of support by individuals, addressing the contributions of the nominee(s). At least two of the support letters should be issued by international colleagues from a different country as the nominee.
Every year during the IAF Spring Meetings in March, the IAF Honours and Awards Committee reviews the nominations received for the IAF World Space Award and makes a recommendation for the recipient(s) to the IAF Bureau. If no suitable candidate is found, this award will not be given.
The IAF World Space Award recipient(s) is inducted during the Opening Ceremony of the International Astronautical Congress. The award consists of a medal and the recipient is also included into a special section of the IAF Hall of Fame. The award recipient will give a Highlight Lecture during the International Astronautical Congress. IAC registration fees will be waived the year of induction for the recipient in Category I and the representative of the team in Category II. The recipient in Category I and the representative of the team in Category II will be invited to participate in the Gala Dinner as special guests of the IAF President (free of charge).
2021 Award Recipients
The Chang’e 4 Mission Leaders
2020 Award Recipients
Designer-in-Chief, China’s Lunar Exploration Program
Deputy Director of the Science and Technology Committee, China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation
Designer-in-Chief of probe system, Chang’e-4 Program
Apollo 11 Crew
2019 Award Recipients
Mr. Charles F. Bolden
2017 Award Recipient
Dr. Yuri Koptev
2016 Award Recipient
Dr. Edward C. Stone
first recipient of the IAF World Space Award (2013)