International Project/Programme Management Committee (IPMC) (2015-2018)
Objective/Scope of the Committee
Recognising the value of promoting individual, team, and organisational excellence in programme/project management, systems engineering and engineering disciplines and appreciating the value of sharing experiences, best practices and new techniques with space project/programme management practitioners in space agencies, companies, universities and professional societies throughout the world, the International Astronautical Federation established the International Project/Programme Management Committee (IPMC) in 2010.
The IPMC is organised as an Administrative Committee of the Federation and operates under Standing Rules of Procedure for all IAF Committees and the General Terms of Reference for Administrative Committees of the IAF Constitution’s Bylaws. As such the IPMC meets during the annual International Astronautical Congresses, participates in the IAF spring meetings and also meets on other occasions each year.
The IPMC focuses on exchanging information, discussing mutual activities and sharing best practices for enhancing the management of space programs and projects through:
- Training and curriculum development
- Knowledge sharing
- Lessons learned
- Related research activities
Since its establishment in 2010, the IPMC and its member organizations have helped organize and actively participate in:
- The International Project Management (IPM) course that is managed by the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in collaboration with the IPMC and held twice annually at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, USA.
- The IPMC Young Professionals Workshop held annually just before the International Astronautical Congress.
The IPMC also considers and periodically conducts activities, specialized events and symposia that discuss topics of interest to the programme/project management and training communities. These events have included:
- “Masters with Masters” knowledge sharing sessions on international collaboration and leadership held during International Astronautical Congresses
- Lessons Learned Workshops organized by the European Space Agency (ESA) in collaboration with the IPMC.
- PM Days workshops organized by the German Aerospace Center (DLR), French Space Agency (CNES) and ESA and PM Challenge events organized by NASA.
On IAC technical programme sessions, the IPMC collaborates with the IAF’s Knowledge Management for Space Organizations Committee (KMTC), the Space Education and Outreach Committee (SEOC) and the Workforce Development/Young Professional Programme (WD/YPP) Committee.
IPMC Workshop at IAC 2015 in Jerusalem, Israel
IPMC Meeting at IAC 2014 in Toronto, Canada
For more information about the IPMC Young Professionals Workshops, please click here!
Noronha de Souza, Petrônio
Somanath, Sri S.
Zimmerman, James V.
Standing Space Agency Subcommittee (SSASC) Chair
Standing Space Agency Subcommittee (SSASC) Vice-Chair