IAF Excellence in "3G" Diversity Award
The IAF Excellence in “3G” Diversity Award is intended to recognize IAF member organisations (industry, government, academia) and/or individual teams/projects within IAF member organizations worldwide for outstanding contributions to the fostering of “3G” (Geography, Generation, Gender) Diversity within the space sector.
The IAF Excellence in "3G" Diversity Award is intended to recognize IAF member organizations (industry, government, academia) (Category A) AND/OR individual teams/projects (Category B) within IAF member organizations worldwide for outstanding contributions to the fostering of “3G” (Geography, Generation, Gender) Diversity within the space sector.
This Award is intended as an annual award presented at the IAC, but is given only when nominations of exceptional merit are received.
Only IAF member organizations in good standing shall be eligible to receive the award.
Who may nominate?
The call for nominations for the IAF Excellence in “3G” Diversity Award is addressed to IAF member organizations. For each organization one application per category will be accepted per year. In addition to nominations for other IAF member organizations and teams/projects, any IAF member organization and team/project within IAF member organizations in good standing may also self-apply for this award.
Who can be nominated?
IAF Excellence in “3G” Diversity Award nominations are addressed to organizations (Category A) AND/OR teams/projects (Category B) that have made outstanding contributions to the fostering of “3G” (Geography, Generation, Gender) Diversity within the space sector. Only IAF member organizations in good standing and individual teams/projects within IAF members organizations in good standing shall be eligible to receive the award.
Serve as a model for outstanding and sustainable contribution to the fostering of “3G” Diversity within the space sector, whereby significant effort in the promotion of at least 2 of the 3G diversity aspects – Geography, Generation and Gender – including potential additional diversity aspects, and positive results in achieving a balanced representation have to be demonstrated.
Such effort may include, but is not limited to:
• Activities to recruit, retain, and professionally develop individuals who increase the “3G” diversity of the workforce
• Senior leadership in organization or team/project exemplifies commitment to diversity
• Activities to create leadership teams that promote a diverse and inclusive culture
• Sponsorship, implementation or active promotion of programs, initiatives, or projects in the area of “3G” diversity and inclusion
• Recognition of exemplary individual and team behaviours that promote diversity and inclusion
• Innovative approaches, which have resulted in a step up from business as usual
• Level of active engagement of the organization/team within the IAF, specifically in support of promoting and fostering 3G diversity within IAF (e.g. number of diverse committee members, authors, participants in IACs, etc.).
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
• Demonstration of emerging or sustained commitment to the values of “3G” diversity by documented efforts that are above and beyond routine expectations.
• Evidence of exceptional efforts to promote a working environment that is free from bias and discrimination.
• Substantiation of the contribution that an organization/team has made towards advancing “3G” diversity.
The IAF Excellence in “3G” Diversity Award recipient(s) will be selected by the IAF Excellence in “3G” Diversity Award Subcommittee who will review the nominations/applications and make a recommendation for the recipient to the IAF Honours and Awards Committee and the IAF Bureau during the IAF Spring Meetings. The final decision rests with the IAF Bureau.
The award consists of a statue and a certificate which will be presented to an official representative of the awarded organization during the annual IAF IDEA “3G” Diversity Luncheon at the IAC. The awarded organization will be given a speaking opportunity at this event.
IAF Excellence in “3G” Diversity Award – Sub-Committee Members
- Deganit Paikowsky, VP for Diversity Initiatives and Science & Academic Relations, Middle East
- John Horack, The Ohio State University College of Engineering, Professor, US
- Victoria Alonsoperez, Founder, Chipsafer, Latin America
- Clay Mowry, Special Advisor to the IAF President (IAC Evolution) (HAC member), US
- Elena Grifoni, Head of ESA DG Cabinet, Europe
- Marie-Claude Salome, Director of Communication, CNES, Europe
- Gabriella Arrigo, IAF Vice President, Science & Academic Relations and Global Networking Forum, Europe
- Mary Snitch, IAF Vice President Communications, Publications and Global Conferences, US
- Akiko Suzuki, Director, Public Affairs Department, JAXA, Asia
- 2020: European Space Agency
- 2019: UAE Space Agency
- 2018: Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC)
- 2017: Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre – MBRSC