IAF “3G” International Platform for Diversity and Equality in Astronautics (IDEA) – 3G Geography – Generation – Gender
“Brilliant minds don’t have Age, Gender, Nationality or Handicap. Take the best of all and give diversity a chance!” Jean-Yves Le Gall, IAF President
The IAF President, Mr. Jean-Yves Le Gall, has developed an Agenda for his term as IAF President which he intends to implement starting from September 2016 for a period of 3 years. One of the most important points in this agenda is focusing on diversity:
Foster the Principles of “3-G” Diversity within the Federation and the Space Sector
These are the main pillars of a “3-G” Diversity principle of the Federation. Geographical diversity and global reach have been traditional features of the IAF since its creation. Attracting the young generation has been in the focus of the IAF during the recent years with manifold newly created activities and programmes tuned to this target community. This has resulted in a significant increase of the number of young people engaged and participating in IAF activities. Gender diversity is still an area where strong progress needs to be achieved. Dedicated promotion of opportunities for female space actors within the Federation and the space sector in general, presenting successful role models and encouraging the young generation of the female space community to aim for leadership positions shall help to reach a balanced and inclusive representation within the governance of the IAF, its Technical and Administrative Committees, as well as the IAC speakers’ and authors’ community.
Implementing the “3G” Diversity Focus as part of the IAF Global Innovation Agenda 2016 – 2019 calls for the creation of an IAF Platform which will allow the Federation to take a leading role in the effort to promote and advance diversity and equality principles amongst a global space community, become an exemplary organisation in terms of geographical, generational, gender and any other diversity aspects, and live up to its motto Connecting @ll Space People.
IAF “3G” IDEA provides a framework for an intensive and open exchange on diversity and equality aspects within the IAF and amongst IAF member organisations as well as potential IAF members and other organisations promoting diversity. On the basis of IAF “3G” IDEA, events of different nature shall be organized during the annual International Astronautical Congress, IAF Global Conferences, IAF Spring Meetings and other occasions, focusing on “3G” diversity topics. Such events can be, but are not limited to:
- Keynotes or lectures
- Moderated panel discussions
- Networking events
- Mentoring sessions
- Social events
- “Diversity” Luncheons or Dinners
- Competitions and awards ceremonies
Focus of these events shall be to contribute to:
- Connecting and engaging space communities in remote areas to IAF activities;
- Further increasing the involvement of and the offer to the young generation within the Federation and its activities;
- Reviving the IAF mentoring programme;
- Attracting specifically the female space community to become active and take over leadership within IAF bodies;
- Providing an international platform to connect gender diversity organisations from different countries, such as WIA US, WIA Europe, WIA Canada, WIA Africa, WIA Japan, etc.
- Establishing IAF focus on all diversity aspects and promoting diversity as a basic principle to the entire global space community.